Bread & Roses Loaves
Prep time: 1.5 hrs-ish
Cook time: 20 - 25 min (30 if yr oven's slow)
Makes two 10 - 12" loaves
5.5 cups bread flour
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP salt (less works fine but molds faster)
1 TBSP yeast
2 c. warm water (hottest tap will go)
1 TBSP oil
1 egg white, beaten with 1 TBSP water
1) Combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add warm water and oil. Beat, stir in remaining flour until stiff, one cup at a time. Knead for 5 - 10 minutes.
2) Rise in greased bowl 1 hour
3) Punch, form 2 loaves between 10 - 12" long, leave on greased cookie sheets to rise for 10 - 15 minutes.
4) Cut diagonal slashes in each loaf. I recommend a good pair of kitchen shears but a variety of knives will work with patience.
5) Brush w/egg white/water mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
6) Bake 375 - 400 depending on your oven (I use an odd 385) for 10 - 12 min, remove to brush again with egg mixture, rotate and bake another 10 - 12 minutes.
7) Re-brush and broil 1 - 2 minutes on low.
Bread is done when valleys give some knock-resistance and bottom is creamed-coffee brown but not burned.